Richard Belzer is an American actor, stand-up comedian, and author who has had a long and varied career in entertainment. Born on August 4, 1944, in Bridgeport, Connecticut, Belzer began his career in comedy clubs in the 1970s before transitioning to television and film.
He died early Sunday at his home in southwest France. Richard Belzer was 78 years old at the time of his passing. Belzer is best known for his role as Detective John Munch on the TV series “Homicide: Life on the Street” and “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.” He played the character for over two decades, making him one of the longest-serving actors in the history of the “Law & Order” franchise.
Belzer has also appeared in numerous films, including “Scarface” (1983), “The Bonfire of the Vanities” (1990), and “Man on the Moon” (1999). He has also made guest appearances on a variety of TV shows and hosted his own talk show, “Hot Properties,” in the 1980s. Belzer has authored several books, including the crime novel “I Am Not a Cop!” and the memoir “Dead Wrong: Straight Facts on the Country’s Most Controversial Cover-Ups.” He is also a noted advocate for animal rights and has been involved in a variety of charitable causes throughout his career. Here We have collected some interesting facts and unknown facts about Richard Belzer.
Check, here are some interesting facts about Richard Belzer:
- Before becoming a comedian and actor, Belzer worked as a reporter: Belzer worked for the Bridgeport Post and was a correspondent for the Associated Press before pursuing a career in comedy.
- He was part of the original cast of “Saturday Night Live”: Belzer was one of the original cast members of “Saturday Night Live,” but only appeared on the first episode as a guest.
- He has played the same character on 10 different TV shows: Belzer’s character, Detective John Munch, has appeared on 10 different TV shows, making him one of the most iconic and beloved characters in TV history.
- He is a certified scuba diver: Belzer is a certified scuba diver and has dived in various locations around the world, including the Great Barrier Reef.
- He is a vegetarian: Belzer has been a vegetarian for many years and has been an advocate for animal rights and veganism.
- He has released several comedy albums: Belzer has released several comedy albums throughout his career, including “Richard Belzer’s Greatest Bits” and “Another Lone Nut.”
- Belzer was briefly married to actress Harlee McBride: In 1985, Belzer married Harlee McBride, who is best known for her work on the TV show “Taxi.” The couple divorced in 1989.
Check More Interesting Facts of Richard Belzer
- He has written several novels: In addition to his non-fiction books, Belzer has also written several novels, including “I Am Not a Cop!” and “I Didn’t Kill Anybody.”
- He has worked as a radio host: Belzer has hosted several radio shows throughout his career, including “The Belzer Connection” and “Richard Belzer’s Radio Show.”
- He was a member of the “Chain Gang” comedy troupe: Before joining “Saturday Night Live,” Belzer was a member of the “Chain Gang” comedy troupe, which also included John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd.
- He has appeared in several music videos: Belzer has appeared in music videos for artists such as Bruce Springsteen (“Glory Days”), Madonna (“Material Girl”), and The Beastie Boys (“Sabotage”).
- He is a certified hypnotist: Belzer is a certified hypnotist and has used his skills in his comedy routines and TV appearances.
- He has performed stand-up comedy in prison: Belzer has performed stand-up comedy in several prisons throughout his career, including San Quentin and Sing Sing.
- He has worked as a fashion model: Before becoming a comedian and actor, Belzer worked as a fashion model in New York City.